[thelist] News.com gets a facelift

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Tue Jan 23 10:49:31 CST 2001

Madhu -

Do you know if they're still using Vingette as their CMS?(or was it
something else) Judging by the URL's it still looks that way..

Couple things I noticed..

The random banner ad placement is lame. When I go to a site day after
day to get quick headlines, my eye's get trained to jump to one spot on
the page.. That banner fucks all that up. I imagine the reason they did
it is so the marketing folks could say,

"Well your banner ads will now get 34.3% more click throughs due to our
patented "Banner ad mover randomizer technology" because the users can't
just choose to ignore the top half the page anymore! They'll have to pay
*attention* to what they're trying to ignore, and as a consiquence,
they'll see your ad!!"

also, as someone else mentioned, a couple things don't line up correctly
in mozilla .7

the site does look a lot cleaner though from a design perspective,
smaller uses of the cnet yellow make that possible.

www.zdnn.com also redesigned their site, and its pretty close to the new
cnet one.. which i would expect after their merger i guess..

.djc.