[thelist] localhost Apache virtual server config problem

Terry Fowler one_webdude at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 23 16:04:31 CST 2001

--- "Daniel J. Cody" <djc at starkmedia.com> wrote:
> Nick Koleszar wrote:
>
> > Listen 127.0.0.1
>
> wack out that line and put
>
> BindAddress 127.0.0.1
>
> instead.. see if that  does the trick..

I've been using Apache for quite a while now and have
it working on Solaris, Win95, and Win98. But I know
I don't know much about it and really want to know
more. So, a question about the above suggestion. Here
is  what I have in my current httpd.conf:

#
# Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP
addresses and/or
# ports, in addition to the default. See also the
<VirtualHost>
# directive.
#
#Listen 3000
#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
#
# BindAddress: You can support virtual hosts with this
option. This directive
# is used to tell the server which IP address to
listen to. It can either
# contain "*", an IP address, or a fully qualified
Internet domain name.
# See also the <VirtualHost> and Listen directives.
#
#BindAddress *

So, both Listen *and* BindAddress are commented out,
but both http://localhost/ and http://127.0.0.1/ work.
Is there something to be gained by doing this another
way?

Hoping to learn something,

Terry Fowler