[thelist] RE: News.com gets a facelift

Raymond Camden rcamden at allaire.com
Wed Jan 24 11:41:31 CST 2001

> The only people with a genuine excuse to write their own CMS are
> large software houses with an established middleware product set
> who would look *really* lame if they bought in someone else to develop
> a system using their own kit, or worse, a competitor's. This is why
> Allaire developed Spectra... (or did they realise the external potential
> first, and just alpha-test it on their own site? Ray?)

While these things happaned before I joined the company, I've always heard
that this was the case. Allaire was working on their own web site and
realizing what a pain CM could be. They then started talking to their
clients and discovered that they were having issues with CM as well. They
looked at what they themselves did as well as their clients and came up with
what they thought of as a 'best of all worlds' type solution - Spectra.
Currently, Allaire.com runs a predecessor to the Spectra system, although a
few sections run real Spectra sites.

Raymond Camden, Principal Spectra Compliance Engineer for Allaire

Email   : jedimaster at allaire.com
ICQ UIN : 3679482