[thelist] RE: News.com gets a facelift

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 24 12:19:31 CST 2001

> From: Edward Smith <smith at ibsys.com>
[...]
> Most of the CMSs out there are very inflexible about breaking out of
> their paradigm.  All these stories you read about people dumping
> Vignette and developing their own, or hopping around between products
> are running into that problem.

we ran into that... and after researching all the CMS packages we
could, and seeing the complaints and benefits, we ended up rolling
out own... what we try to do, however, is address 80-95% of your
needs, since no tool can solve 100% of the problems out there...

and the rest can be developed by us or the client's in-house staff...
allowing the client to expand the CMS as they see fit is very
effective... you don't build yourself into their organization and leech
money from them forever...

[...]
> I think that many companies publishing on the web are beginning to
> realize that the best way to allow themselves the ability to change and
> adapt as quickly as the web demands, is to develop and control their own
> CMS.

depending on the size... for a company with a strong web focus in
their business model, yes... for a law firm with 10 national offices
and people changing attorney bios every day, no, they're better off
buying one in most cases...