[thelist] RE:News.com gets a facelift

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Wed Jan 24 14:24:31 CST 2001

Jay Greenspan wrote:
> I know a couple of people who did StoryServer installations and were really,
> really disappointed. These weren't terribly large companies that had only
> one goal: publishing of text to the Web. In the end they found that the
> consultants promised a lot, cost a lot, and didn't carry through. Both ended
> up using Vignette like they would any other middleware. And at that point,
> why bother? A basic CMS for the Web isn't too tough to write in asp, CF,
> PHP, perl, whatever. You guys wrote one for evolt. I co-wrote one in PHP for
> a recent project.

This is a really interesting issue to me - and there was just a large
article on the downsides of Vignette for many tasks in the Digital Coast
Daily

http://www.digitalcoastweekly.com/issues/dcw01222001.html

Direct link...
Content's Conundrum: To Vignette or Not To Vignette
http://www.digitalcoastweekly.com/issues/dcw01222001.html#Headline3456

Very worthwhile - and a nice insight into the pricing model for vignette
(basically, more traffic = more money for Vignette.

	- Joe "posting from the day job" Crawford
	  <aka joe at artlung.com>
Joe Crawford ||||||||||||||       mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com