[thelist] Search facility for html and pdf documents

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser at skdesigns.com
Thu Jan 25 00:56:31 CST 2001

At 09:18 PM 01/24/2001, you wrote:
>>I have a client who want people to have a search function available on his
>>site that will search both html and pdf document content.
>>
>>Haven't got a clue how to go about this. Could I please have some advice?
>
>Hi Derry
>
>http://www.atomz.com/
>
>search engines gather info from flash, pdf and mpeg files... and they're
>lovely to deal with!
>
>Andrew
>--
>Andrew Forsberg
>http://www.thepander.co.nz

I agree about using Atomz, Derry. I'm using their free search engine at 2
sites right now, one of my own and one for a client. Does a great job
searching regular HTML and PDF files. There's lots of customization you can
do, too, not just to customize the search page to blend in with your site
but also to help optimize the results. Atomz has special meta tags for
that, and other things you can tell Atomz to prioritize, etc. I've been
quite pleased with it.

If you'd like to check it out in action, feel free to try it at
http://www.websitetips.com or http://www.montereylawngarden. You'll see the
little search box near the top left corner of each page.

Thu Jan 25 00:18:37 2001 "Mark Gregor" <mark at velir.com> also suggested:
>Inktomi Search (formerly Ultraseek Server) will search (among many other
>file types), PDF documents.
>

>Mark

I haven't a clue about how Inktomi's compares to Atomz. I'd love to check
it out in action. Mark (or anyone else!), if you know of a site or two
using it, I'd love to try it out. And I'd love to hear your thoughts about
it, too. I always like to keep informed about these various possibilities.
Lots of demand for good site search capabilities.

Thanks.

Warmly,
Shirley
--