[thelist] Hotmail trashes e-mail

Andy Warwick andy.war at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 25 11:00:31 CST 2001

on 25/1/01 3:03 pm, Terry Clark at Terry.Clark at eqos.com wrote:

I had something similar with one of my email accounts; the return address
was simply set to be my email. In other words, they didn't actually have
access to my account, just that any complaints or bounces would end up in my
inbox rather than theirs.

What I managed to do was grab the headers from one of the bounced messages
and determine the original account the mail was sent from; my ISP then
talked to their ISP to confirm that emails were leaving that account in
quantity - and that address wasn't being spoofed as well - and simply remove
their account.

If you are lucky you may be able to do the same.

If you want me to have a look at the headers of one of the messages, let me
know; otherwise your ISP, in this case Hotmail, should be able to determine
where the email came from by the headers.

HTH

Andy W