[thelist] Win System Calls from webpage

Jay Turley jay at weberrific.org
Thu Jan 25 13:12:31 CST 2001

Hi all-

does anyone know of a way to make a system call from a web page? Let me
explain the situation a little more:

We have a set of .zip files, each containing a metacode file. We also have
an executable (.exe) that converts a metacode file to a .pdf document.
Currently, we run a batch file to unzip all .zip files, convert all
resulting metacode files to .pdfs, and then store them on a file server in
a hierarchical manner.

Meanwhile, we have an ASP page that autogenerates links to any
existing .pdf files on the files server, then copies them into a download
directory with a random filename for users to view.

It's all cheesy.

The idea is that we would like to unzip a zip file, extract a metacode
file, and convert it to .pdf ALL ON THE FLY! Does anyone have any ideas
about this?

Thanks

*tip owed - coming soon*

  http://www.weberrific.org
 "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology"