[thelist] Cold Fusion Server is the Pig

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Thu Jan 25 15:41:31 CST 2001

Hi Frank,

Is this a recent development?  If so, check the code that you've written
since before the problem.  CFServer by itself doesn't make a habit of
sucking up all of your CPU cycles..  Are you running cfschedule?  I haven't
heard of any specific problems regarding cfschedule and cpu overuse, but
it's a squirrely little booger to begin with, and it's the only thing I'm
aware of that runs actively even when you aren't requesting cf templates..

Are the cycles taken up all of a sudden, or is there a gradual increase over
the course of an hour?

You can set up a log file using the NT performance monitor, to help get a
better idea of what's happening, and when.

There's an eye-opening article at Allaire's website that shows how to set
the resource monitor up to monitor memory usage:
http://allaire.com/handlers/index.cfm?id=15014

Follow the instructions, only instead of specifying the "Private Bytes"
counter, use  "% Processing Time", and set the sampling interval to whatever
is appropriate.

If there are templates being accessed on the cf server, you can perhaps
match corresponding CPU utilization jump times with the cfserver logs, IIS
logs, or both, to help isolate the culprit.

I'm sorry this email isn't very focused.  I'm up to my ass in aligators
today so I didn't have time to elaboprate as much as I'd like.  But I hope
it gets you headed in the right direction.

Take Care,

Seth

Seth Bienek
Solutions Development Manager