[thelist] HostPro Revisited

Gee gee at geedev.com
Thu Jan 25 20:18:31 CST 2001

Raz admits:
> HostPro is better than the hosting service we had prior to using them but
> given that our previous hosts actions bordered on criminal negligence and
> fraud that isn't saying much.

And Raz's sig sez:
> If you have to choose the lesser of two evils then maybe its time to
> think about rephrasing the question.

Point well made both times! Up until October I was under the impression,
based upon empirical evidence, that _all_ Web hosts were sub-par (which
begged the question of what, then, was par :-) ). I hopped around through
maybe four or five hosts  in the space of two years, with much the same
experience that you allude. My suggestion of hosts to avoid: OLM,
Webhosting.com, Web2010 (didn't someone mention them?)

Meanwhile, Erik sez:
>This was the reason I left: CF was crashed literally 20% of the time,
> they had moved my NT accounts to new servers at least twice, and each
> time, things were OK for a while, but they just loaded more sites on
> each server than they should. Then they disabled some tags and I had
> no choice but to move.

Yikes. Don't blame you for leaving.

Hopefully I won't have to deal with such. I just look for a Linux box that
stays online and lets me play with the configuration.  I'd just run it all
out of my house if I could afford the bandwidth :-). Um, but don't get me
wrong, my ambition far exceeds my competence. (see today's other thread)