[thelist] NN: funny window.open self.close behavior

s t e f stef at nota-bene.org
Fri Jan 26 12:35:36 CST 2001

[sender: rudy || date: 09:36 26/01/2001 -0500]
> >I made a popup for http://www.ridingzone.com/rz2/site2f/general/
>
>hi stef
>
>when i went to your page, a popup window appeared immediately, but the
>status bar on the main window said
>
>   (81 items remaining) Downloading picture
>
>and meanwhile the popup window sat there with broken image links and a
>black background
>
>which ain't exactly wrong, but i betcha a *lot* of people will just close
>the popup before anything else happens, on the assumption it's just one of
>those annoying advertisement thingies

Yeah. We're having a redesign, and I assume no responsibility in those 81
images ;-)

>anyhow, when i did click a link in the popup, it dutifully disappeared (i'm
>using ie4 on win95), and the main window went to a login page

Sure, but the idea was that the window should close and the opener go to
the specified URL.
However with NN it didn't.
Matthew Fischer found the tip that saves my soul.
Actually I won't touch it again since my bosses found beter to keep the
popup around in case people would like to use it again.
Go figure.

>but when i clicked on my back button to get back to the home page, the
>popup appeared again, but *behind* the main window (you will probably want
>to put onLoad="self.focus()" into it or something)

True. Thanks.
My mistake.

>my suggestion would be to have the popup appear only as the result of a
>user action, like "click here to open special offer window" or something,
>because you don't want it to come up every time the home page is reloaded

No I don't, but for the moment it was my only option. My bosses want it to
appear when one accesses the main page, yet we don't have session
management yet. So I'm stuck with it the way it is.

>nice looking site, by the way -- real nice

Mmmh.
A bit heavy for a so-called portal site, if you ask me.

Thanks go to you and Matthew.

I hope I can repay one day.

s t e f