[thelist] Thunder Lizard in Atlanta

H. G. Quinn hgquinn at attglobal.net
Sat Jan 27 11:34:31 CST 2001

It's one of my theories that the reason men continue to make more money for the
same work than women do is men don't let anyone convince them to wear painful
shoes, so they stand straighter, look happier, and thus appear to be more
powerful, and are paid accordingly ;-).  My other theory is that the reason
women live longer than men is that women wake up one day in their middle years,
and discover that they don't _have_ to wear painful shoes, and the discovery
has such a tonic effect on their lives that they live an average of 8 years
longer than men ;->.

<tip type="aligning graphics and text on buttons" author="Heather Quinn">
To make sure text and other elements are always aligned on a series of buttons
you're designing, use the layers feature of your graphics program to create
layers with text and element variations for the same button background.  Use
layer duplication as the starting point for each new button.  For example, if
you have a text layer that says "Home", duplicate that layer and simply edit
its text to change the content on the duplicated layer to something like
"Contact Us".  The layer duplication will position the text exactly.  If during
editing something gets moved, wiith layer visibility on for all layers, you can
easily see what's out of line and nudge it back.  To create the buttons as
gif's, simply turn off visibility for all layers except the button's
background, non-text elements, and the text for the button you're currently
saving.  Continuing the example, to save a "Home" button, turn off visibility
for the "Contact Us" text, and save to something like "home.gif".  Then, to
save a "Contact Us" button, turn off visibility for the "Home" text, and save
to something like "contact.gif".
</tip>

Sean German wrote:

> > Awww, but every woman knows that painful shoes are sexy! ;)
>
> I stand corrected.
>
> Every woman should have a couple pairs of painful shoes; she just shouldn't
> have to walk in them ;)

Cheers,
--
Heather Quinn