[thelist] Update on missing table cell background problem

Charles Johnson cfj at mac.com
Wed Jan 31 10:41:31 CST 2001

Joe Crawford <jcrawford at avencom.com> wrote:

> That's the damndest thing I've seen in a while. I see the bug on
> surfacademy.org - here at work I'm on WindowsNT. And in netscape,
> kerfluie.
>
> I don't think it's a Jpeg versus GIF issue - check this copy of one of
> your tables with 4 different iterations (images pulled from your site
> using a <base href>):
> http://www.artlung.com/temp/sa.html
>
> Which shows that given 2 gifs (one yours, one the yahoo logo) one shows
> up as a bg, one doesn't. Very odd.
>
> This makes me think maybe there's something odd about your GIF? Though
> what I don't know, since if I view it directly in netscape I can see it.
> :-\
>
> Odd. Odd. Odd.
>
> Best,
> Joe

Isn't it bizarre!?? Thanks for setting up that test page, Joe. It adds
another piece to the puzzle. It's starting to look as if, under some
versions of Windows, background GIF images for TDs need to be transparent! I
don't know why the version of Windows would matter, but there it is.

"Peter Beckler" <naplescom at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It seems to me I had a similar problem and had to make gifs transparent, or
> not. Can't remember which. Is there any difference with the transparency of
> the images?
> Peter

You got it, Peter...the image that fails to show up is not transparent. The
Yahoo logo that Joe used for his test page is transparent. This just may be
the cause.

So I set the transparency of those background images at:

http://www.surfacademy.org

and if anyone has a moment to check and let me know if things are better, or
if (as is often the case with Netscape) another problem pops up as a
result...I'd appreciate it. Thanks to all!

Charles F. Johnson
Little Green Footballs Web Design
http://www.littlegreenfootballs.com