[thelist] Forcing wrap in table cells

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 1 07:57:54 CST 2001

> From: Joe Crawford {From the iBook} <jcrawford at avencom.com>
[...]
> > neither <wbr> or <nobr> exist in HTML... at least not in 2.0, 3.2, or
> > 4.01... nor within XHTML 1.0...
>
> But they are part of the history of use of the net, and an html geek should
> know about them:
> http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/tagpages/w/wbr.htm
> http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/tagpages/n/nobr.htm

oh, i know about 'em... used to use them rather religiously back in
the way old days... but nw i code for compliance, and those tags
don't do enough to make me break compliance... ultimately, i just
let the browser handle it...

> Probably a good bet - but you never know what old stuff may carry on. This
> issue of tags not being in the HTML spec can get downright religious. <wbr>
> ain't there, but then, neither is <embed>. And <embed> is quite a popular
> tag among, say, Flashers. You gotta be aware of what the tags are, where
> they came from, and whether they're likely to stick around.
>
> <iframe> is a tag which came from MS, but is quite useful and ended up in
> the HTML 4 spec:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/frames.html#edef-IFRAME

yeah, but my overall point is that MS is the *last* place anyone
should be looking as an HTML reference... they've usurped so
many tags and added so many of their own it's not the best
resource for compliance... and yes, Netscape did this years ago,
but that was before the push for standards and the realization that
standards were A Good Thing...

> (I believe it was several years ago and I was railing against stuff like

same here... i was surprised at first with the adoption of <iframe>...