[thelist] Including CGI output.

Marty Landman marty at face2interface.com
Mon Feb 5 15:21:37 CST 2001

At 03:50 PM 2/5/01, you wrote:
>I have what I hope is a simple question. I would like to call an external
>program through SSI to insert some content into a page before it is served
>using Apache or IIS. I'm having some trouble and do not know if it is the
>CGI I'm calling, or if what I'm attempting is not supported. I've tried:
>
>#exec cgi="correct path to program"
>
>#include virtual="/correct path to program"

Debugging SSI's can be a bit tricky. The basics include

1) having telnet access and first running the script as a standalone from
the server command line

2) checking the error log to get an idea what's going wrong

3) are you getting the string "[an error occurred while processing this
directive]"? this is what I get on my Apache server when things get really
screwed up.

<shameless self-promotion>If you're new to SSI's you might want to check
out tutorials #1 and 2 on my CGI site http://thecgibin.com.</shameless
self-promotion>

hth,

Marty