[thelist] Including CGI output.

David Adams dpadams at island-data.com
Mon Feb 5 15:54:37 CST 2001

> If you're calling the include on a page served by WebSTAR, have you tried
> using "script" in your include instead of "cgi"?
>
> <!--#exec script="/path/to/script.cgi"-->
>
> instead of
>
> <!--#exec cgi="/path/to/script.cgi"-->

I've just retried cgi/script and include virtual with WebSTAR using the
demos they ship. None of them work using W* 4.2 or the 4.4 beta. I'm going
to take this up with them. (Using the default sample CGI I don't crash, but
every call fails. I installed an AppleEvents monitor and can see that no
events are being generated.)

> Is Lasso involved in this at all? Because Lasso can screw up includes faster
> than snot on ice. Basically, if the page is touched at all by Lasso, you
> have to use *Lasso* includes rather than WebSTAR SSI includes.
No, not at all, but thanks for the pointer.

How about with IIS? Is it normal and customary for a CGI to return content
called with #exec cgi or through #include virtual?

Sorry for being a bit clueless here.

P.S. I have WebSTAR and IIS (under NT4 SP6a) running here for testing. I can
easily reconfigure anything/everything. I'm skipping Apache for now as there
isn't actually a CGI to call. (I have access to an Apache server with SSI
enabled.)

  David Adams
  Island Data Management
  Kailua, HI 96734