[thelist] Including CGI output.

David Adams dpadams at island-data.com
Mon Feb 5 17:13:39 CST 2001

> Umm... this might sound like a stupid question, but did you actually turn on
> include processing in your admin settings? WebSTAR installs with this turned
> off by default. The other thing to check is that you have your script in a
> place that WebSTAR can access it. Another option in the admin control panel
> is to restrict includes to the /cgi-bin/ssi/ directory. You can use an alias
> to that cgi anywhere on the server, but the script/include itself has to be
> in that directory. That's also turned on by default.

Excellent points, thank you. I've turned all of the permissions on since
this is a test server, so I've got that covered. I've tried various
locations and paths. Even when I get the CGI to fire I don't get any results
back. I've taken this up with the WebSTAR folks directly now.

> WebSTAR's implementation of SSI wasn't completely standard (as of 4.3,
> anyway). They added a few things and dropped some stuff. I don't know if
> this is something that 4D has plans to address or not. If you don't *have*
> to have WebSTAR in the mix, that might be your best solution.

My personal preference:

    Apache on Unix (pick your flavor)
        IIS
            WebSTAR

Why? Because that's my order of preferences for server platforms. They're
all great Web servers, in my opinion. I'm researching materials for 4D
developers, so my preference in this case is:

    IIS
    WebSTAR

Some 4D people prefer Mac, some prefer Windows, some don't care. I don't
care.

  David Adams
  Island Data Management
  Kailua, HI 96734