[thelist] Country Specific Lists: WAS Re: London Drinkies

Oliver Lineham oliver at lineham.co.nz
Tue Feb 6 21:24:31 CST 2001

At 18:17 6/02/2001 +0000, you wrote:

>I've got domains we could use, but to keep us under the evolt umbrella
>maybe a nice admin could give us 'uk.evolt.org'?
>Its just a thought, I don't want to split the list, but for country
>specific stuff it seems sensible?

i think rather than splitting by country, somewhere to throw events
discussion/notification would be good (something like events.evolt.org - or
perhaps it would be within the main site). tied in with this is the
question whether to create a general chatter list.

we're talking a little about this on the admin list.  caveats: 1. i'm just
one of *many* admins, and there's a bunch of discussion we need to do
first.  2. there are a couple of other cool projects to get out of the way
first..

</ol>

<tip type="Input validation">
Most of us know server-side scripts should validate input data before use,
but it's also important to validate on multiple levels. For example:

- You might validate it on the client-side with javascript. This might be
considered a usability thing, since the user doesn't have to load a new
page to find out what's wrong with their input. Client-side validation is
the least reliable (ever heard of turning off JS?)

- You will validate it in your server script. By manipulating input,
someone could trick your script into doing something malicious.

- If the form data is sent to a database, your database design should
define its fields as accurately as possible. This ensures that even if your
script fails to validate the data, the database will probably reject it
anyway. Remember, it is usually possible to connect to your database server
directly, completely bypassing your scripts.
</tip>