[thelist] international friendly form

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Tue Feb 6 21:40:31 CST 2001

> Canadians are so touchy about that sort of thing - especially
> when their postal codes are rejected through JavaScript.

we are NOT!!  and how dare you say that!!!

;o)   just kidding, ben, just kidding

actually, i had that happen to me just the other day -- it was a pretty
boneheaded form, it asked for my country, accepted Canada when i chose it
in the dropdown list, but then insisted on a 5-character zip code, so i
entered the only one i'd ever heard of, 90210

and don't get me started on forms that want to know my salary -- i remember
one quite recently that insisted that it had to be between $20,000 and
$100,000, it just wouldn't accept $0 (which is currently true) or my usual
$937,000,000 (which is how i always answer the salary question)

> it's not hard, even though it's hard work

right on, mike

do it in the backend -- and do it offline if necessary, i.e. capture
exactly what was entered in the form, then translate into additional
database fields in the overnight batch process

<tip>
always keep exactly what the user entered, *never* replace the original
entry with a translation, even if it's "cleaner"
</tip>

rudy.ca