[thelist] What prog. language to focus on???

Zac zac at pixelgeek.com
Wed Feb 7 15:36:31 CST 2001

David Markowski <davidm at alb.edu> wrote:

> PHP? ASP? PERL? MySQL? JAVA? AppML? Other??? or am I on the wrong track
> with any of these? (btw I've been focusing on PHP and MySQL)

I would think that PHP and mySQL are good foundations. They are available on
most of the OSes/platforms and the price makes them both available on even
smaller scale ISPs. This is very important if you're working for or will work
for smaller clients.

Some things you need to look at are, as mentioned, general programming
fundamentals and also look at learning and using ANSI standard SQL. Even mySQL
has some non-standard tags so its always important to be able to know what
enough SQL to make sure your code is portable.

After that I'd focus on Java. After PHP you'll find the syntax familiar and with
the growing expansion of Java development systems (Cold Fusion will basically be
a java sevrlet engine in its next iteration) you'll find that Java coding skills
will be far more useful and, the magic word again, portable than something like
perl.

perl is a great language but I find that all it really does, aside from teaching
you how to use reg expressions better than any other language, is teach you how
to program in perl.

--

       Zac Belado

       email: zac at pixelgeek.com