[thelist] client driven ftp access

Marty Landman marty at face2interface.com
Thu Feb 8 16:54:54 CST 2001

At 06:06 PM 2/8/01, you wrote:
>i trying to figure out how to easily build ftp access into a web site
>for transferring customer files to a company.

There's an upload facility for forms. Check out Joe Barta's tutorials for
an example. I haven't done an upload app myself so I'm only guessing this'd
do the trick; I've also heard that there's an upload method for Lincoln
Stein's CGI.pm package (part of Perl).

Perl also has an FTP client called Net::FTP and I've used it quite.

So between the upload form field or CGI.pm for the website visitor to
specify the file, and a program on the server to ftp that file over
properly you'd be all set. If you don't need a very complicated GUI it
shouldn't even cost a whole lot. Tell your client that less is more. :)

Obviously you'd want to at least put .htaccess protection on this script or
you could have bozos from Brooklyn to Bangkok uploading gigabytes of crap
to your client's website. More likely you might even want to have
additional security measures in place. Feel free to write if you want a bid
once the requirements are detailed out.

Marty
http://face2interface.com