[thelist] international friendly form

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Fri Feb 9 04:30:31 CST 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Dave

The addresses in the PAF database (ie the addresses database
which the Royal Mail maintains) are by definition the 'correct'
postal addresses. And postcodes map real areas on the ground.

These may or may not map onto the addresses people are *used*
to using (eg it *really* annoys me that Edinburgh is defined as being
in the county of Midlothian), because people base the addresses they
use on a combination of
* Postal address
* Local government boundaries
* Geographical features (more akin to directions)
* What it says on their house deeds

However, if you put the correct postal address on a piece of
snail mail, it will reach the correct destination with no problems (because
the UK has a fairly intelligent postal system, even if you really go off
base, it will still nearly always get there)

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org