[thelist] Netscape 6 and 6.01 won't install properly

sfmalo sfmalo at msn.com
Sat Feb 10 23:14:56 CST 2001

Am a brand-new member and this is my first query.

My problem is that, for the second time in three weeks or so, I have tried
to install Netscape 6 and it won't install on my system. The first time, I
downloaded it from Netscape's "Smart Download" site and it bombed but good!
I emailed Netscape but have heard nothing yet. So last night I decided to
download it from your site when I read that a fix had just come out as 6.01.
Excitedly (after taking 1-1/2 hrs to download in the wee small hours of the
morning yet), I tried to install it today.

Again, to my dismay, I keep getting a "this program has performed an illegal
operation and will be shut down" message after all the files install and the
icons pop up on my desk top. When I read the error message, it says
"Netscape caused an invalid page fault in module XPCOM.DLL at
0167:60cb8c61". Then it lists a lot of registers, bytes at CS: EIP: and
stack dumps. The browser will not open. I uninstalled after the first try,
reinstalled, reran the executable .... and the same thing happens.

Would some kind soul give me advice on what to do? I am stumped and have an
upset client on my hands to boot. I can't test his site using NN6 which he
now has and says there are some goofy things going on with some of the
pages!

Looking forward to your help,
regards,
Sharon

Sharon F. Malone
http://www.24caratdesign.com
"web page design and Internet writing services"