[thelist] netscape js/relative display:none problem

jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Tue Feb 13 07:28:16 CST 2001

kyra,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: narrator
:
: I'm trying to create swapping text + image
: layers in Netscape using *relative* positioning
: due to design constraints, so I'm using the
: display:none/inline class to make the divs cinch
: up. It's working fine in IE but in Netscape it
: seems to cough on the display:none class.  It's
: like the hidden div isn't even there for Netscape.
: Does anyone know of a way to make this work with
: relative positioning in Netscape?
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sure, just create your relatively positioned div.  then, inside that div
place another div that's absolutely positioned.  to see an example of this
click any of the links in the red band here:

http://www.mtbachelor.com/

i'll warn you right now that you're not going to get much use out of the
display style property in nn4.  you can set it via css but you can't alter
it via scripting.  that basically means that if you set it to hidden, nn4
users will never be able to see it.

good luck,

.jeff

name://jeff.howden