[thelist] dealing with spanish / international characters

John Pye john.pye at purplehouse.com
Tue Feb 13 10:17:31 CST 2001

Hi Peter

Re your last query about character sets: I have found that if you want to
use special non-ASCII characters in your documents, it is enough just to
specify the character set at the start of the document. We use

This handles all the western european languages fine. We populate the pages
with data from the database, and as long as the charset is correctly
configured, there is no need for &eacute; etc.

A lot of &___; characters are defined in Internet Explorer but don't work in
Netscape, such as &ndash;

Perhaps the lang tagging is useful for people with speaking web browsers - I
don't know if it is useful for visual browsers at this time.

hope that helps

John Pye
www.creativebase.com