[thelist] Tip o'the day (x2)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 16 16:44:32 CST 2001

> From: "the head lemur" <headlemur at qwest.net>
[...]
> The commentary regarding client site recoding is a dog that won't
> hunt. If you haven't already been giving your clients sites that
> degrade gracefully, someone else will.

um, except ALA and its browser upgrade campaign quite
adamantly do *not* talk about pages degrading... they talk about
'screw the old browsers, and by association, any users on
alternative browsers or who are unable to upgrade'...

i think that's an unfortunate message, and is in direct contrast to
your statement above about degrading gracefully...

if they were talking *only* about standards, i think there would be
no issue... but i think they knew that lazy developers would throw
their support in with ALA if ALA suggested that their jobs could get
easier, regardless of how it serves the user...

> I think that the wasp campaign will bring folks on to the same page
> standards wise much faster than any other form of education.

just ALA readers, really... and even then, only those who *get* it...
treating it as the word of god is also as dangerous, so hopefully
those folks won't read it...