[thelist] Re: getRows() (was: commenting code)

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Fri Feb 16 18:22:02 CST 2001

> > This is only faster when you have a large number of rows returned. If I
> recall
> > correctly, it was something like 250 rows.
>
> I do believe you're mistaken there, Matt.
>
> http://www.learnasp.com/advice/whygetrows.asp
>
> <quote>
>
> "Does it matter for small amounts of data?
>
> YES!!!!!!!!
>
> My site has SQLserver scripts that run like lightning. I once needed to fill
> a 9 item listbox from Access and got 90 sec script timeouts with movenext.
> Getstring never timed out. So in a real production situation it makes weak
> databases feasible and of course reduces the load on more industrial
> back-ends so maybe the SQLserver doesn't need as many indexes or RAM
> upgrades."
>
> </quote>

You won't get anything from me by quoting Carroll...

I wrote about an article on ASPToday here:

http://evolt.org/article/THE_Article_for_ASP_Performance/12/691/index.html

But it seems ASPToday has copped out and is now requiring a subscription fee:

http://www.asptoday.com/content/articles/20000113.asp?WROXEMPTOKEN=635311ZLwWR
bUbcTBfWfIeb4Qa

*shrug*

If someone has a subscription and would like to confirm what I remember
reading (and the main reason I wrote the article on evolt) that would be cool.

BUT, the ASPToday article had *numbers*. The specific purpose of the article
was to prove myths right/wrong using time trials. If I remember correctly,
getRows() was a slower operation than regular recordsets until you got to 250
rows returned.

> Looping through an array is faster than looping through a recordset. If
> nothing else, it allows you to close the connection faster, which makes it
> easier on server resources.

OF COURSE! Think about it, that makes sense. Why else would it actually be
faster after 250 rows returned? Obviously, then, it's the actual getRows()
operation itself that is slower than simply returning a recordset. Seems like
common sense to me. It's not a question of whether calling getRows() speeds
things up, it's a question of AT WHAT SIZE RESULT this speeds things up.
Obviously when you call another method, it's going to be slower than not
calling that method.

And you don't have to have the connection to work with the recordset.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com