Liquid Layout (Was RE: [thelist] Tip o'the day (x2))

Zac zac at pixelgeek.com
Mon Feb 19 13:21:12 CST 2001

> Again, apart from a bizarre obsession regarding filling
> the browser window with something, why bother?

People do. I think you eiher see the esthetic reasons behind its use or, as
in your case, you don't.

> And in answer to your other question, yes I run browser
> windows at 100% - and I don't often see 'normal' people
> do anything else.

Well in this case I think that the issue is less the design techniuqe and
more the use of the browser. I actually hold the opposing view adn can't see
how people can use a browser (or any app) in full screen mode. Its a
particularly odd method of using applications that I've never seen the point
of.

But, in particular what is happening is that your particular way of viewing
a web page is casuing you to see it in a much more different light than the
designer may have.

While I agree that long lines of text are unreadable there is a danger is
the arbitrarty application of rules and esthetic sensibilities from one
medium to another. I can't remember reading a book where I could expand the
page width to 250% of the original.

So in this instance there is a reason for not having the width of the text
fully expand without he browser window but to my mind having a grating white
space without any definition is fairly...well its just icky sometimes.