[thelist] Re-installing Windows

Frank framar at interlog.com
Mon Feb 19 14:09:12 CST 2001

When I purchase my last PC, it came pre-installed with a crippled
version of windows, called 'ME'. It turns out that about the only
thing it'll run without crashing is mine sweeper.

I've installed all my software on this machine, and now I'm finding
work to be impractical. I want to re-install Window 2k pro. Can I
simply install one system over another, or is there a special
procedure?

I know for example that installing just about any program spreads
.dlls, .inis, .bats everywhere, and there is this thing called 'the
registry' that will most likely get wiped out if I do. Is there a
way, like on the Mac, that I can simply install the new version of
the system without doing a total and complete install of all my
programs and documents?

What should I keep in mind, and consider in order to upgrade my OS?
--

"Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface."

Frank Marion                      Loofah Communications
frank at loofahcom.com               http://www.loofahcom.com