[thelist] Design Resolutions

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 19 14:18:57 CST 2001

<aphelan at confederationc.on.ca>

> I've noticed myself less concerned with designing for a screen resolution of
> 640x480. From  my understanding the standard has been 800x600 for over a
> year now, how important is it to make sure that sites look ok on 640x480? Is
> the user percentage worth the trouble?

the standard has been 800x600 for over a year?  hmmm... what
standard's body said that?

obviously that's rhetorical...

the real answer is, know your audience... you really shouldn't ask
us what the 'standard' is for screen res, or ask us if that number is
worth catering to...

you need to determine what you can about your users, find out the
impact of designing one way vs. another, and figure out the impact
of shutting some users out vs. not shutting anyone out...

i did my own research on this a while ago for a site i maintain, and
i turned into a pair of articles because i thought others might find it
useful....

http://www.evolt.org/article/Real_World_Browser_Size_Stats_Part_I
/17/2295/index.html

http://www.evolt.org/article/Real_World_Browser_Size_Stats_Part_II