[thelist] Any FrontPage 2000 Users Out There? Cannot Log On

Sabrina Dent, Apperception sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Mon Feb 19 20:08:38 CST 2001

Arrrggh!!! OK, I can't connect with FrontPage 2000. This may be my
well-deserved fate as a FP user, but still, any help from others hiding on
this list would be appreciated.

Everything was absolutely fine until today, when I had ADSL installed. I
know nothing about ADSL and FrontPage, and sadly the support department at
my provider, British Telecom, knows even less.

When I was using pure dial-up, the settings I always checked, and advised
others to check, were:

1. Check that Client for MS Networks is installed
2. Check the connection you will be using to publish and check that "Logon
to Network" is ticked.

Both of these are confirmed for my current ADSL connection.

Here are the symptoms:

1. Open FP, try to open a web, enter username and password, and the prompt
is simply repeated.
2. This happens on both my server (NT) and a variety of other NT and UNIX
servers.
3. It WILL open webs on my PWS, so I don't think it's a FP problem, per se.

I've not been able to check the logs via our sys admin because this has
happened after business hours, but the re-prompt is SO fast that I doubt the
request is even going to the server.

I have tried:

1. Messing with the security settings in IE (but I'm not sure what to try)
2. Confirming that there's no proxy server set-up for the connection
3. Adding a new registry key for FP

The ADSL issue aside, what are some other things I might try to get FP to
connect/authenticate with the repeated username and password prompt?

And as to the ADSL, does anyone have any specific suggestions? I know that
it's pretty specific to my UK provider, but still, ANY suggestions really
appreciated.

This is really, really doing my head in, not to mention bringing a good part
of my working life to a grinding halt.

--Bri

<tip>A quick work around for the table borders being grey in Netscape:
Create a table with the background set to your desired border color (for
example, black) and the padding set to 1. Stick another table inside it with
the padding also set to 1 and set the cell color to whatever you desire, for
example white. Instant table borders.</tip>