[thelist] Re: Liquid Layout

s t e f stef at nota-bene.org
Tue Feb 20 05:24:38 CST 2001

[sender: Zac || date: 11:22 19/02/2001 -0800]

Hello to all.
Long time since I didn't input my two cents.

>Well in this case I think that the issue is less the design techniuqe and
>more the use of the browser. I actually hold the opposing view adn can't see
>how people can use a browser (or any app) in full screen mode. Its a
>particularly odd method of using applications that I've never seen the point
>of.
>
>But, in particular what is happening is that your particular way of viewing
>a web page is casuing you to see it in a much more different light than the
>designer may have.

That's why both points of view are defendable IMHO.

I don't rely on the way I expect people to use their browser to design my
pages. We all know that the basic rules of programming is: don't expect
people to do what you expect them to do ;-)

First and foremost, I have seen many Mac/Linux users browse in a window,
and many Windows users browse full-screen. Maybe it's because of the
fundamentals of each interface. I'm not talking about power users who know
EXACTLY what they do --most people stick to the defaults of their system.

Based on that, my reflection is this: it's a designer's choice to fix width
or not (through any container method, be it styles or tables, which is not
the matter here), but you definitely HAVE to keep in mind that the users
will _not_ (repeat, _not_) do what you'd like them to do.

You have then to decide on your design accordingly. Pretending that some
people WON'T browse full-screen is illusory.

s t e f