Shirley's request (WAS: [thelist] Tip o'the day (x2))

Paulette Neal-Allen pnealall at ci.thornton.co.us
Tue Feb 20 11:02:55 CST 2001

Shirley E. Kaiser quoted someone else:

And then she said:
>I'm looking for examples that do exactly this. Do you happen to have some?
>While I use CSS now and dumped font tags last year (I'm still housecleaning
>my own sites, so there could be a couple here and there), I'm still using
>table cells to ensure the formatting for 4.x browsers, for example. I
>wonder about sites that no longer use table cells and instead use CSS for
>layout also.

Shirley:
Michael Floyd, in a couple of articles for WebTechniques, describes using dynamically generated XSL to do this in a couple of different articles:
http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/2001/01/xml/
and
http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/2001/03/xml/

Disclaimer:
I read these articles and said, "gee, that sounds like a GREAT idea".  Then I stuck them in my Favorites/Bookmarks, and have not played with the concepts he discusses to see whether they really work or not.  From what he says in those two articles, though, it was a significant up-front effort, and now he can pretty much not even have to think about it, so it would be a pretty good example of "can be done ... *if* you make the conscious effort to do it up front"

Paulette Neal-Allen
x7697