[thelist] mouseovers with layers??

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 21 07:09:27 CST 2001

>is it practical or feasible to have layers connected to a mouseover.

It can be done, but it's a lot of work. Basically you need a mouseover
script that works in layers, and I suppose there's also a show/hide routine.

  I have
>a client that saw on a site some mouseovers that were headings (as images)
>that changed to a lots of more text (as image).  I could do this for him
>but
>Ive told him that this is not a good thing?!  ( on his site they would be
>big images)

It can be terribly slow in downloading, so I think plain text and CSS is
better.

>So can it be done with layers.  I can format the text headings to look like
>what he wants (Comic Sans..can you believe that?) but can I get a layer to
>come forward and overlay the heading.

Not necessary, unless it has to work perfectly in NN4. If it doesn't have
to, just change the class of the A (or a containing DIV or whatever) to the
correct styles.

document.getElementById('theID').className = 'over';

and put the mouseover styles in .over {}
IE4: document.all['theID'].className = 'over';

Would positioning the layer be a pain
>in the arse?  I think I can convince him that straight headings with text
>below them is fine.  Unfortunately he see things on the web like animated
>gifs and 3d rotating logos and wants to have it all.  Im sure soon he will
>be asking me to have blinking text or a marquee scrolling across the
>screen....then again...he is paying me!

In these cases it's best to do what he wants, but be very clear that it's
his decision and that it may cause serious connection problems. Put this in
writing, if at all possible. Let him pay you, and if he comes back
complaining his site is slow, charge him again.

ppk