[thelist] Re-installing Windows

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Wed Feb 21 14:53:12 CST 2001

> Win 2K actually has a fairly smart (for M$ anyway) install process. You can
> install it right on top of your current OS and it will pickup all of the
> currently installed software without a problem. Email me directly if you
> have any questions.

I've never actually tried this (I've managed to escape actually seeing a
copy of ME... for now), but my understanding is that because ME and Win2K
are on different tracks ("standard" and "NT", or "consumer" and
"business", or whatever), Windows 2000 isn't considered an "upgrade" to
ME, and therefore it won't install over without wreaking some serious
havoc. Am I wrong? I'd be happy to find out that it isn't true.

Here's my understanding of Windows upgrade paths:
Business: NT 3.something -> NT4.0spX -> 2000 -> (XP)
Consumer: Windows 3.1 -> 95 -> 98 -> ME

I'm pulling all of this from memory, and since I came along pretty late in
the game, I'm not too clear on any of it.

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net