[thelist] CF 5.0 beta 1 released - FOR RAY

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Wed Feb 21 14:55:42 CST 2001

Hi Ray -

I was reading the new features list for CF5.0 at beta.allaire.com and
was wondering what is going to be great from your POV?

 From what I've read, but admittadly haven't yet tried, this doesn't
appear to be a .0 release. Other than the new administrator application
and the 'query of a query' features, this doesn't seem like much more
than an enchancement release to fix some CF tags.

I understand that the whole thing is being rebuilt on a J2EE base, and
thats cool. What I'd really like to see - and I'm sure I'm not the only
one - is Allaire/MM fix the current problems that plauge the CF app
server. Three I can name off the top of my head are <cfschedule> not
working on linux correctly, <cfpop> and its rather idiotic way of
parsing date/time stamps(or the lack of any parsing at all), and pretty
much every filesystem orientated tag(cffile, cfexecute, etc) on the Unix
platforms.

Please don't take this as a bitch session to you personally or anything
like that :)

But I think its sad when a company doesn't fix the problems in the
current release of its product before introducing a whole new version!
with new features! and new functionality! and new blah!.. Everyone
bitches about how MS for example should fix the crap in their current OS
before introducing a new one that doesn't address any of the problems in
the previous version, but adds new features! ...

*shrug* My point is, I don't really need or want 'Crystal Reports 8.0
Integration Enhancement'(i just read features for beta2 in the middle of
this, sorry :).. I dont even use Crystal reports.. I just want my fuckin
<cfpop> and <cfschedule> tags to work on linux like they're supposed to
work.. If I could get a good solid version of CF - a product I use and
love - for linux in which everything worked like it was supposed to, I'd
be tickled pink. As it appears to be going, I have to stagger from
release to feature bloated release picking up other bugs and features
I'll never use in the quest to get my *current* applications working
correctly..

*phew* Again, thats not directed at you or your personal work in any way
or form.. Feel free to forward that to anyone inside your company that
can/will/does listen to CF developers, or people that can give me some
source so I can fix the problems myself :)

.djc.