[thelist] From PHP to...?

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Wed Feb 21 15:06:42 CST 2001

> So, to anyone on this list who knows both languages/platforms and possibly
> even made this jump him/herself before: can you tell me what changes (in
> terms of development paradigm) I can expect when I move from PHP to Java?

Everything. Except ending statements with a semi-colon. Java is
object-oriented. Some people call PHP object-oriented, but no one has ever
been able to convince me of that.

> Are there any "must have" books/HOWTOs/websites I should buy/read/know
> about? And, most importantly, is this jump actually worth it?

It would be easier to migrate to another scripting language like ASP (which
you can write in JScript, btw) or *cough* even ColdFusion. If you still want
to go Java, pick up Java in a Nutshell and read it like the Bible.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com