[thelist] Weird Inquiry

Simon Coggins ppxsjc1 at unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Feb 21 18:13:42 CST 2001

Dan,

> Okay, I have a page that is dynamically generated based around the results
> of the form on the previous page.  What I'm trying to do is build an anchor
> tag with HREF="#" and an OnClick that opens a new window.  The problem here
> is that I get an error message from the "#" portion (because the form data
> isn't reposted), and the OnClick function doesn't execute.  Anyone have any
> ideas for a simple workaround on this?

If I've interpreted your question correctly, here's a couple of ideas:

1. Try adding return false; to the onClick statement. This can suppress
the clicking of the link.

2. Replace the <A HREF="#"> with <A HREF="javascript:codehere();"> and
ditch the onClick event handler. This will run the code when the link is
clicked.

Hope that helps,

Simon