[thelist] SQL optimization

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Wed Feb 21 22:06:45 CST 2001

Hello All!

After Dan's recent encouragement to ASK ASK ASK I thought I would!

I have an SQL optimization question that goes like this: on a catalog
page I currently have two SQL queries. One takes the search criteria
and selects a count of the code column (which is the only one
guaranteed to be unique) -- this result I use to work out the number
of catalog pages for navigation purposes. The count is the only thing
I'm selecting in this query. The second query uses the same criteria
plus a sort and limit clause, and it selects all the info which the
catalog page will display (between 1 and 6 columns).

Now, is this an incredibly inefficient way of doing things? I thought
that using MySQL to limit the entries returned would be the good
thing to do... I'm sure MySQL would do the sorting and limiting
faster than PHP (which is the scripting language I'm using here), and
the first query is only counting matching records. Still, could
someone with more experience with databases point me in the right
direction here? I'm a bit worried that two SQL queries a page is a
bit of a strain on the server (which will not be a dedicated
production server).

Thanks heaps all you DBM gurus.

Andrew
--