[thelist] The story on "The CompuServe Web Browser"

Eric Cestari eric at ohmforce.com
Thu Feb 22 07:07:29 CST 2001

Just had the same issue. Asked evolt. It is based on IE.
Went to see client. My server returned the UA env var was IE5 ie Mozilla
4.0 (Internet Explorer 5.0 [snip]).
With no indication telling that it was just an "embedded" IE.

I think that the recent (sic) Compuserve browser use the IE COM object.
If you have IE5.5 on the client, I guess the Compuserve browser uses it.
(yet to be tested)

Eric

John Eckman wrote:

> I have a client who somehow managed to get "Compuserve" listed as a browser
> that needs support. No version # or anything more.
>
> So, I need to figure out some history here.
>
> Compuserve now appears to let users choose their own browser (crazy idea, I
> know) - but is this only with "Compuserve 2000" accounts? Does that mean
> that "Compuserve Classic" users still get some kind of bundled browser?
>
> I see references at compuserve.com to version 4, 5, and 6 of "compuserve" -
> are these different versions of the "Compuserve Classic" all-in-one kind of
> deal, or are these difference versions of Compuserve 2000?
>
> If there is a bundled browser for some Compuserve users, what is it? Is it
> the same transmogrified Internet Explorer beast used in AOL? (AOL has owned
> compuserve for 2-3 years?)
>
> Thanks in advance-
>
> John
>
> John Eckman                     "It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper
> www.liquidsquid.com             to just suck on a penny"

Eric Cestari                      |               Ohm Force
Chief Web Designer                |  Digital Audio Software
mailto:eric.cestari at ohmforce.com  | http://www.ohmforce.com