[thelist] Privacy: well done privacy statements

Shifra Raffel sraffel at Oxygen.com
Thu Feb 22 15:14:44 CST 2001

Hi everyone. In your travels lately, have you seen a nicely done privacy
statement or a site that explains privacy issues well? If so, could you
please toss it my way?

Muchas gracias. Here's a slightly lame tip, but it might help some other
poor souls.

<tip type="NT/Unix CGI" author="Shifra Raffel">
For anyone else unlucky enough to need to port scripts back and forth
between Unix and NT, here are a couple of things I've found helpful. (We
have a local NT dev box and a Unix production environment. Don't ask.)

1) mark any paths that will need to be changed with a distinctive comment,
like
# NTPOINTER, so you can find them when you get ready to copy the script
over.

2) if you are dealing with any flat files, don't use absolute paths if you
can help it. Use a $webroot variable and make the rest of the paths
$webroot/directory/filename.html instead of
$webroot\\NTpathname\\filename.html . I haven't seen an NT server choke on a
/ .

3) comment out the other platform's pathname... but leave it in the script.
Saves typin'.

4) if you have ActiveState... at least in our installation, you have to
invoke taint using /perltaint at the shebang instead of -T. So don't forget
to change that.

</tip>

Shifra Raffel
Web Production
ThriveOnline, www.thriveonline.oxygen.com
(415) 908-3079
sraffel at oxygen.com

This e-mail is the property of Oxygen Media, LLC.  It is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by sending an e-mail to postmaster at oxygen.com and destroy all electronic and paper copies of this e-mail.