[thelist] Javascript: Long lines of code

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Thu Feb 22 15:25:29 CST 2001

Asif,

> Does anyone know how I can break a really long
> Javascript line into multiple lines. The code I want
> to break down into multiple lines is

	Yes. But I'm not sure which question you are asking.
	If you're asking, "How can I break up this long string in my source
code so that I can read it without horizontally scrolling the page in my
editor?", it's very straightforward:

alert ("The chair of the committee should be an " +
  "instructional faculty with a regular academic " +
  "appointment, Assistant Professor or higher, from the " +
  "department awarding the degree. He must hold a Ph.D or " +
  "its equivalent doctoral research degree");

	If, on the other hand, you're asking, "How do I break up this long
string so that the alert box is narrower and easier to read?", it's also
straightforward (I'm actually combining the two techniques here):

alert ("The chair of the committee should be an" +
  "\ninstructional faculty with a regular academic" +
  "\nappointment, Assistant Professor or higher, from the" +
  "\ndepartment awarding the degree. He must hold a Ph.D or" +
  "\nits equivalent doctoral research degree");

	The main thing here is the line-break character, \n.

hth,
James Aylard