[thelist] Netscape 6 Liquid Table Bug

Elly elly at mac.com
Thu Feb 22 16:36:14 CST 2001

The technique of making liquid tables work for NN4 shows a problem in
NN6 in certain conditions.

In Netscape 6 (tested only on a Mac) with certain table attributes
and with the browser window at certain widths you can see a one pixel
vertical line of the page background color, in between a middle
liquid width cell and end cell.

Please see this demo page of the problem.
http://www.echozone.com/bug.html

Conditions:
* a cell width of 100%
* table centered on the page
* table tag has percentage width attribute set at less than 100%
* bug visible only when the browser window is at certain widths!

I would assume this is a bug in Netscape 6, but it's not apparent
*why* it's showing this weird behavior, and only under this
combination of conditions. This is valid HTML 4 Transitional code. I
have not been able to come up with a workaround. The problem in NN4
is too severe to forsake the 100% width attribute. I'm curious if
others have come up against this, having never heard this discussed.
--
Elly

http://www.echozone.com/
echo at echozone.com