[thelist] Javascript problem in IE 4.5 Mac

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Thu Feb 22 19:52:29 CST 2001

At 6:11 AM 2/22/1, sarah wrote:
> I have this javascript that detects flash and writes
> the flash into the page if the user has it, and writes
> a static version if the user doesn't have it. It works
> fine on every browser except IE 4.5 on the mac

I guess you already got the info that not all browsers will tell you which
plugins (or controls!) they have.

There's another issue, too: Very few people don't have some version of the
Macromedia Flash Player installed. To automatically guide visitors, a
version test is more important these days than a plugin test!
<http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetr
ation.html>

This raises the detection stakes, but there's the Flash Deployment Kit
available at the Macromedia Exchange to handle the various cases.

Still, it may be simpler to just show this content, with a link to the
Macromedia Flash Player beneath.

jd