[thelist] Browser Detection

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu Feb 22 22:59:15 CST 2001

>  > >PS - the 'ultimate client sniffer' page itself just choked on my IE
>>  >5 (mac) browser... so you'll want to check how successful it really
>>  >is on several different browsers.
>>
>>  Sorry - this is an error. The script which redirects you from
>>  netscape's home page for the 'client sniffer' doesn't recognize IE 5
>>  mac. It tells you your browser is a 'bad browser'.
>>
>>  The script at the url I mentioned before on mozilla.org works just fine.
>
>so your saying that the Netscape home page can't detect a browser using a
>different sniffer to the actual Netscape sniffer tool that they've let
>everyone use for years?  *lol* - AOL ... gotta love 'em :)

Yea - it's true. (well it's not netscape's home page -- it's the home
page on netscape for the client sniffer script.) The DMOZ listing for
'ultimate client sniffer' passes you to Netscape's 'developer' <cough
/> area where at:

http://developer.netscape.com/docs/examples/javascript/browser_type.html

I get redirected to:

http://my.netscape.com/badbrowser.tmpl

and in no uncertain terms I am informed that my browser is: 'bad' and
'invalid'. It wouldn't be half as funny if the self-righteousness of
netscape's on that page was backed up by a browser that actually did
work well ... but that's another story.

I thought it was quite funny too.

Andrew
--