[thelist] Installing different browsers for testing

Filip Salomonsson filip at netdesign.se
Thu Feb 22 23:18:45 CST 2001

Todd Owen:
> You can't install multiple versions of IE on the same machine, and I'm
> pretty sure you can't install multiple Netscapes, although one of each (IE
> and NS) on the same machine is OK.

Actually, if you're in a windows environment, you can have zillions of
Netscapes -- different as well as identical versions -- as long as you put
them in separate folders. I usually keep netscape versions 0.x--6.x within
reach.

As for IE, you should be able to run at least two or three versions on the
same windows machine. If you start off with IE4 and then install IE5,
choosing to keep IE4 in "compatible mode" (somewhere in the "advanced" part
of the installation options), there should be no problems at all. On top of
that, you might be able to install a 16-bit version of IE3, but that can be
a bit of a gamble sometimes. You should give it a shot if you really want
it, though.

/filip