[thelist] all about browsers

Nyal Bartch nyalb at zyggher.com
Fri Feb 23 16:50:46 CST 2001

Hello all!

I'm a newbie to evolt and to thelist (but not to the web by any means
though).  On the topic of browsers, specifically installing multiple
browsers on the same machine... Netscape is easy.  I have NS 3, 4 and 6
installed on this machine, as long as they're in seperate folders, it's no
problem.  IE 4 and 5 is easy too with that lovely compatibilty option.  Now,
my problem rests in getting IE 3 on here w/o creating a whole new partion &
Windows 95 install.  Does anyone have any ideas or tips as to how I can get
IE 3 to install in it's own directory and not have it try to overwrite the
dll's and such?  Is there a way to do somewhat of an embedded install of the
browser?  Any help would be great.  Also, I have Opera 5 installed for
testing, but not any previous versions because of the cost, do any of you
test on older Opera installs?  I also test for WebTV with the WebTV Viewer.
Also, many of you have mentioned testing with the AOL browser.  Do you
really find this to be a problem, seeing as how AOL versions 3 and up all
use IE?  I just go by what it says at http://webmaster.info.aol.com and call
it good (cause I'm a cheapscape and don't even want to pay the BYOA fee for
crappy AOL).

Based on my site stats, I find that if I make the eye candy for IE 4 and 5
then I'm gonna catch most of my users.  Then secondly I want it to look as
good as possible in NS 4.  Next it's making it look good and decent to
navigate in WebTV.  Everything after that is pretty small percentages of my
user base.  So, besides 3+ of IE and NS, Opera 5 and WebTV, any suggestions
on browsers I should deffinitely test with?

Thanks for the help and I'm glad to be here!

~Nyal~

[> C. Nyal Bartch ~ Zyggher ~  1.877.817.1668 <]
[> nyalb at zyggher.com ~ http://www.zyggher.com <]
[> ICQ: 14940968 ~ AOL/Yahoo/MSN/IRC: Zyggher <]
[> The COGLinks Page: http://www.coglinks.org <]
[> Computer/Networks/Internet/Web Design Guru <]