[thelist] Multiple Processors???

Philippe J philippejadin2 at swing.be
Sat Feb 24 05:36:47 CST 2001

> I know that the Operating System distributes the tasks
> between the two processors but there is always the
> overhead of distributing the tasks and retrieving the
> results. the operating system that we are considering
> is Windows 2000 server.

A quite important thing to consider is the way the os distributes tasks to
the processors. For instance, win 98 simply turn off the second processor.
With nt, it's quite normal to have only a 10-20% speed increment with a
second processor (it should be 100%). I'm not too sure about win2000 server,
but I guess it's not sufficient to consider adding a second processor. If
you were using linux, things could be better. (I heard of 80% speed
improvement with a second processor on linux...).

I would go for the single processor, with a lot of ram and fast hd.

Philippe