[thelist] Dedicated IP vs. "not dedicated" ;)

Calum I Mac Leod calum at ciml.co.uk
Sat Feb 24 10:48:32 CST 2001

Anthony Baratta:
> At 11:02 PM 2/24/2001 -0500, you wrote:
<snip>
> >In choosing a hosting company for your site, is a dedicated IP better,
and
> >why?
<snip>
> In short - there is no different in service quality between dedicated ips
> and ip sharing for virtual hosting.

I agree with that, even though a few stupid 'bots seem to struggle with
'host:' headers even now. ;-(

As well as for SSL, you need a separate IP if you want FTP hosts to be
resolved.  This doesn't matter where usernames and passwords can
differentiate 'sites', but if you want to use ftp.yourcompany.example as an
anonymous FTP address going to it's own directory then you need an IP for
it.

Personally, I find IPs useful for bandwidth monitoring.  If we go over quota
with our upstream then I can work out who to bill.  :-)

Calum