[thelist] CSS Font Sizes, was one more thing about...

Charles F. Johnson charles at littlegreenfootballs.com
Sat Feb 24 15:49:02 CST 2001

Calum I Mac Leod <calum at ciml.co.uk> typed:

> The main argument to ditch CSS px is simple: Why should the author set the
> default font size, when the user can pick their optimum and let us base our
> sized on that?

for me, it's a simple matter of pragmatism. i use pixels because -- *at
present* -- it seems, on balance, to be the best approach. i have no
particular affection for them. in fact, i feel nothing for them. ahem.

when the world changes (i.e. when netscape 4 dies a well-deserved death),
relative font sizes like percentages and ems (which also have their
advantages) will be viable options and i'll be right there using them. but
with the current crop of browsers, relative sizes are just too much of a
headache. to me. your mileage may differ.

charles johnson
lgf web design
http://littlegreenfootballs.com